libFoundation - Cannot determine the Objective-C runtime

Hi everyone!

I’m trying to “habitatize” a third party/vendor application that depends on libFoundation. There’s no libFoundation in core, so I guessed I’d have to write that first - however, I hit an issue in the do_build method, where I keep on getting an “Objective-C runtime” issue.

output of ./configure

checking host system type... Invalid configuration `x86_64-pc-linux-gnuoldld': machine `x86_64-pc' not recognized

*************** Warning ****************
This package was not ported to running operating system.
We'll use the default configuration file ./config//.h.

./configure: line 684: test: =: unary operator expected
checking for a BSD compatible install... /hab/pkgs/core/coreutils/8.25/20170513213226/bin/install -c
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -I/hab/pkgs/core/glibc/2.22/20170513201042/include -I/hab/pkgs/core/glibc/2.22/20170513201042/include -I/hab/pkgs/core/gcc/5.2.0/20170513202244/include -L/hab/pkgs/core/glibc/2.22/20170513201042/lib -L/hab/pkgs/core/glibc/2.22/20170513201042/lib -L/hab/pkgs/core/gcc/5.2.0/20170513202244/lib) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -I/hab/pkgs/core/glibc/2.22/20170513201042/include -I/hab/pkgs/core/glibc/2.22/20170513201042/include -I/hab/pkgs/core/gcc/5.2.0/20170513202244/include -L/hab/pkgs/core/glibc/2.22/20170513201042/lib -L/hab/pkgs/core/glibc/2.22/20170513201042/lib -L/hab/pkgs/core/gcc/5.2.0/20170513202244/lib) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C... yes
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for POSIXized ISC... no
checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -E
checking for gmake... no
checking for gnumake... no
checking for make... no
checking for the C structures alignment... 8
checking for dlopen in -ldl... yes
checking for pthread_create in -lpcthread... no
checking for pthread_create in -lpthread... yes
checking for sqrt in -lm... yes
checking for chown in -lnsl... yes
checking for accept in -lsocket... no
checking for  in -lwsock32... no
checking for  in -ladvapi32... no
checking for the Objective-C runtime...
configure: error: Cannot determine the Objective-C runtime! Probably you have to specify some additional libraries needed to link an ObjC program

The actual plan.sh is pretty straightforward currently:

pkg_name=libFoundation
pkg_description="libFoundation"
pkg_origin=escapetechnology
pkg_maintainer="Escape Technology Development <development@escape-technology.com>"
pkg_license=('BSD')
pkg_version=0.9.0
pkg_source=https://sourceforge.net/projects/libfoundation/files/${pkg_name}/${pkg_version}/${pkg_name}-${pkg_version}.tar.gz
pkg_shasum=8439a4a60fba6d8eced64787f0dc6228138d6ec87713bf8534849dac4c81b159
pkg_deps=(core/glibc)
pkg_build_deps=(core/glibc core/gcc core/gnupg)

do_build() {
    cd ${HAB_CACHE_SRC_PATH}/${pkg_name}/${pkg_name}
    ./configure
    make
}

Thanks in advance for your help!

I think you’ve got a couple things going on here.

First checking host system type... Invalid configuration 'x86_64-pc-linux-gnuoldld': machine 'x86_64-pc' not recognized seems like the appropriate build triple isn’t being auto-discovered with a generic ./configure call. However that wouldn’t inherently preclude a build from happening.

What’s actually causing your build to die is your package is expecting Objective-C to be available but it’s not included in your list of package deps. We don’t currently have a core/gcc-objc package or a core/gnustep package which I think are going to keep you from being able to build this library.

That being said - I think you mentioned this is COTSoftware? We might have an easier way for you to package this up if you’re in a situation where you always deploy to the same operating system.

Ok, so it’d easily lead me down into a rabbit hole of plans to get to being able to build the software we would like to build.

Sounds interesting! Yes, it’s COTS software; would you be able to point me towards the easier way to package this up? We would be open to always deploying to the same OS.

Thanks in advance!

We’ve been planning to write up a walk-through on how to do that so maybe this is just the push we need to get up and get it done!

First a couple questions - are you packaging up COTS where you have access to an RPM or DEB file that you’re using today?

Yep, I’ve got access to an RPM!

Ok cool I’ll get a guide written up on this and link you back to it here. I’ll get started on it today and hopefully have something useful for you in no time!

Amazing!

Happy to give the guide some exercise and feed back!

So I can’t guarantee it will totally unblock you because it’s going to be use-case specific but you can take a look here now: Using Habitat with COTS

That has been a great help @eeyun; I’ve been able to package up the (COTS) application with Habitat now!

FYI: for my use-case I had to add in an empty do_strip method.

Thank you for your help!

Wonderful, I’m going to mark this as the solution!